Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Weekend 1,part 2,Peruvian Eyes

I write this now,for I may never write this afterwards.
Soon the details will become hazy,I wont stress my memory and improvise instead.

The second weekend was a touristy as you it can get.So,i would rather not write about it.I would get offended if anyone called me a tourist in Berlin.After all how many tourists could say?(scroll down for answer)

'Ich bin ein Berliner!'(I am a Berliner!)

So,I get into this bus with the professor.Flash my free ticket at the driver(who doubles up as the conductor,and no he does not scream out all the places the bus is heading towards,neither does he walk around the bus.Yes,he does sell tickets who choose to buy from him.Most ppl buy it from ticket machines on the bus stop)

The driver gives me a 'Hmmm,long night of science' look.

I give him a sheepish 'will exploit free ticket for other purposes' look.

He gives me a 'move on,there are others behind you' look.

I give him an 'okay okay' look.

All right this is stupid.So we are standing in the bus for a while and then this guy gets up from his seat.

I will switch to the past tense now,its more classy,less yuppy.

I went and plomped myself next to a chinki-ish looking but not chinki woman.I am really good at figuring at which countires which chinki women are from.You need a good eye to read those eyes.I must admit,i was completely baffled.All I knew was that she was well,super pretty.

Soon after,a barrage of Turkish women entered the bus.There is a sizable Turkish population in Germany.Nice people,remind me of Indians a bit.Not just in the way they look,but the loudness of manner.So this Turkish woman started screaming at a German guy,for he was not shifting to the window seat.The guy refused to budge,but some how all the screaming sounded like it wasnt a serious argument.So here was my chance to find out what was happening,and i asked the woman next to me.Also,i wanted to find out which country she was from.I asked her if she spoke any english.

She said "a litoool"She explained to me that it was all a joke.The German was pretending to be offended,because the Turkish woman did not say excuse me in German,and just rattled off in Turkish.

A quiet minute and then she asks "India?

"yes,and you?"

"South America",treating me like a retard who knew only names of continents.

"Oh,where in South america?"

"You know Peru?"

Now,do I know Peru or what?The land that was the setting for my abortive attempt at a novel.Did I know Peru?I once had a 62 page manuscript about a boy who did not like football.

So I told her as much.She started laughing and wanted to know the story.

Story.

Further laughter.

I am a touch offended.But what the hell,it was a stupid story.

" Where did you get those ideas from?Internet?"

Embarrasingly right.

"Maybe you can tell me a little about Peru then."

Please note i was speaking very slowly,slower than the usual slow me,enunciating every word.

"Where are you going now?"she asked.

"Well there is an exhibition about blah blah,....."

"Oh"

I could tell she was not interested i n the long night of science.

"I am going to a jazz concert in Friedrischstrasse right now.Perhaps,you can come after you are finished."

WOW!

I would have gone right then,but there a slight problem.If you have been reading attentively,there was Dr. Dasgupta somewhere in the bus.So i took the address,not hard for it was an open air concert.

I was about to get off.

"Oh,i did not ask your name."

Josemaria,she said.And i left.She did not ask mine.Good thing too,for i might have missed my stop in trying to tell her my name.

For two hours we saw some interesting exhibitions.Then my man here was tired and wanted to leave.I said that I ll continue visiting these fairs.

I took the first bus to the appointed place.

It took me some 10 minutes to find Josemaria.I could say "her" instead of Josemaria,but i think i wont get to use that name so often.

4 hours,great music!I did not enjoy the hardcore Jazz but the bluesey bands and the percussions were awesome.I learnt much about jazz from her.Not too much about Peru.
4 hours,great company!She studies in Munich and would have left sunday morning.

***********************************************************

Answer 1. Two( me and JFK, he famously said those words in 1960 something.It apparently made him very popular in these parts,something i am striving to achieve)


MYSTERY CARROT AWARD
MYSTERY CARROT AWARD

for website adequacy