Thursday, February 16, 2006

You may disagree...

I don't mind Karan Thapar's interviews. A lot of people accuse him of not allowing his guests to talk and being too rigid for an interviewer. He has assumed the role of an Indian 'Tim Sebastian', and I don't think his interviews are unentertaining.

Is he irritating? His Sunday column in HT convinces me of the how much rubbish you are allowed to write week after week, once you have aged moderately well in the media. I would have criticized Bachi Karkaria’s column, but I withhold for a few reasons. First, on a visit to the Oxford book store, I saw a compendium of ‘Erratica’ till now. Her earlier columns (80ies) were actually entertaining, without being in your face. Second, Alec Smart salvages a lot of pride for her. I have a familial weakness for one-liners, and twisting of words. To come up with them every week has to be brilliant. Third and to top it all, Bachi found a 14 year old me funny! In a two stage debate organized by the Times of India, the elimination round composed of an extempore. In the extempore, I sought refuge in petty humour, and sailed through. After qualifying for the main debate round, I spoke with a (boring) script from memory. After the event, she mildly scolded me for not continuing with humour in the debate too. I don’t remember how I replied. It must have been accompanied with a sheepish smile.

On Sundays, I am an Indian Express loyalist.

MYSTERY CARROT AWARD
MYSTERY CARROT AWARD

for website adequacy